Apply for Cultural Leadership's High School Program
Applications for Class 13 CLOSED
We will begin accepting applications for Class 14 in January, 2018
Cultural Leadership is looking for curious, courageous, change-the-world type high-school freshmen and sophomores to participate in the 13th class of its award winning, year-long youth educational, social justice, and leadership program. Applications and more information are now available.
This is a very rewarding, yet quite demanding, program. We require a serious commitment from our participants that is outlined in both the Schedule and Agreement. Please be sure you are willing to commit fully to Cultural Leadership before applying. Click here to see SAMPLE dates for program. Dates for the Class 13 program will be announced when they are available.
Eligibility & Qualifications
Student Recruitment and Selection
Cultural Leadership sends applications to more than 100 high schools and houses of worship in the St. Louis area in search of competitive applicants. We welcome applications from students of any race, religion, or background who are interested in learning how to become activists for social justice.
In our inception, Cultural Leadership was a program dedicated to rekindling the historic alliance between African Americans and Jews. We have since expanded on that mission and now train high school students to create a more just and equitable community through the African American and Jewish lens. We see the history of these two groups as an excellent foundation for understanding the effects of oppression and privilege and for learning how to fight social injustice. Our curriculum continues to focus on the African American and Jewish experience and the majority, though not all, of our student body identify as one or both of these two groups.
To apply, one must:
- be curious and interested in “changing the world;"
- have demonstrated a sense of responsibility, leadership potential, and curiosity;
- currently be a freshman or sophomore in high school and live in the St. Louis region - students will be in Cultural Leadership during their sophomore or junior year of high school;
- be Black and/or of African descent and voluntarily identify as an African-American;
- be Jewish, belong to a synagogue, and identify voluntarily as a Jew;
- not be Black or Jewish, but interested in learning about and being with both groups and interested in learning how to bring about social change;
- agree to the tremendous commitment that we require of our students;
- be open to a life-changing experience.
Completed applications with two recommendations are read by the Recruitment - Selection Committee that narrows the finalists and interviews students personally.