Apply for Cultural Leadership's High School Program
Applications for Class 13 Now Available
DEADLINE EXTENDED - APRIL 26, 2017
Cultural Leadership is looking for curious, courageous, change-the-world type high-school freshmen and sophomores to participate in the 13th class of its award winning, year-long youth educational, social justice, and leadership program. Applications and more information are now available.
This is a very rewarding, yet quite demanding, program. We require a serious commitment from our participants that is outlined in both the Schedule and Agreement. Please be sure you are willing to commit fully to Cultural Leadership before applying. Click here to see SAMPLE dates for program. Dates for the Class 13 program will be announced when they are available.
There are two methods of application available:
- Hardcopy - download the application documents below and print, complete, and return them by April 26, 2017.
- Online Application - complete the online application by April 26, 2017. Please note that the online application does not include the recommendation forms or the parental consent form. You will still need to download those forms separately (see below) and have them returned by April 26, 2017.
Application Process and Timeline
The application timeline for Class 13 is as follows.
- Now - Applications available,
- February & March - Information sessions held.
- Wednesday April 26, 2017 - Applications due to Cultural Leadership - NEW Extended Deadline!
- April 30, 2017 - Interviews held.
- May 7, 2017 - Alternate Interviews held.
- Monday, May 15, 2017 - Notification letters mailed.
Information Sessions for High School Progams
All are welcome to come to any and all of these upcoming information sessions to learn more and ask questions about Cultural Leadership and its programming.
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Central Reform Congregation
St. Louis, MO 63108
Thursday, March 2, 2017
Diversity Partnership Awareness
40 N Rock Hill Rd
Webster Groves, MO 63119
Thursday, March 30
Class 13 Application Documents (2017-2018)
The entire application packet can be downloaded here: Entire Application Packet.
Individual forms are also available individually here:
- Recommendation Form (note that two recommendation letters are required)
- Parental Consent
- Financial Aid Application
Eligibility & Qualifications
Student Recruitment and Selection
Cultural Leadership sends applications to more than 100 high schools and houses of worship in the St. Louis area in search of competitive applicants. We welcome applications from students of any race, religion, or background who are interested in learning how to become activists for social justice.
In our inception, Cultural Leadership was a program dedicated to rekindling the historic alliance between African Americans and Jews. We have since expanded on that mission and now train high school students to create a more just and equitable community through the African American and Jewish lens. We see the history of these two groups as an excellent foundation for understanding the effects of oppression and privilege and for learning how to fight social injustice. Our curriculum continues to focus on the African American and Jewish experience and the majority, though not all, of our student body identify as one or both of these two groups.
To apply, one must:
- be curious and interested in “changing the world;"
- have demonstrated a sense of responsibility, leadership potential, and curiosity;
- currently be a freshman or sophomore in high school and live in the St. Louis region - students will be in Cultural Leadership during their sophomore or junior year of high school;
- be Black and/or of African descent and voluntarily identify as an African-American;
- be Jewish, belong to a synagogue, and identify voluntarily as a Jew;
- not be Black or Jewish, but interested in learning about and being with both groups and interested in learning how to bring about social change;
- agree to the tremendous commitment that we require of our students;
- be open to a life-changing experience.
Completed applications with two recommendations are read by the Recruitment - Selection Committee that narrows the finalists and interviews students personally.