Apply for Cultural Leadership's High School Program
Apply for Class 14 Now
Cultural Leadership is looking for curious, courageous, change-the-world type high-school freshmen and sophomores to participate in the 14th class of its award winning, year-long educational program centered on social justice and leadership. Applications are now available as either an online application or as a PDF:
- Click here to download the online application for Cultural Leadership Class 14. The completed application must be mailed to the Cultural Leadership office by April 30.
- OR, complete the online application here by April 30, 2018. Please note that the online application does not include the recommendation forms. You will need to download those forms separately, here: Recommendation Form
This is a very rewarding—yet demanding—program. We require a serious commitment from our participants that is outlined in both the Program Schedule and Agreement. Please be sure you are willing to commit fully to Cultural Leadership before applying. Click here to see SAMPLE dates for the Class 14 program. A comprehensive list of Class 14 program dates will be announced when they become available. Click here for a list of the current Class 13 prgram schedule.
Eligibility & Qualifications
Student Recruitment and Selection
Cultural Leadership sends applications to more than 100 high schools and houses of worship in the St. Louis area in search of competitive applicants. We welcome applications from students of any race, religion, or background who are interested in learning how to become social justice advocates.
In our inception, Cultural Leadership was a program dedicated to rekindling the historic alliance between African Americans and Jews. We have since expanded on that mission, and now train high-school students from diverse backgrounds to create a more just and equitable community through the African American and Jewish lens. We see the history of these two groups as an excellent foundation for understanding the effects of oppression and privilege, and for learning how to fight social injustice. Our curriculum continues to focus on the African American and Jewish experience and the majority of our students identify with one or both of these groups.
To apply, one must:
- be curious and interested in “changing the world;"
- have demonstrated a sense of responsibility, leadership potential, and curiosity;
- currently be a freshman or sophomore in high school and live in the St. Louis region (students will be in Cultural Leadership during their sophomore or junior year of high school);
- be Black and/or of African descent and voluntarily identify as an African-American;
- be Jewish, belong to a synagogue, and identify voluntarily as a Jew;
- not be Black or Jewish, but interested in learning about and being with both groups and interested in learning how to bring about social change;
- agree to the tremendous commitment that we require of our students;
- be open to a life-changing experience.
Only completed applications with two recommendations are read by the Recruitment - Selection Committee. This committee chooses the finalists and interviews students personally.
Information and Recruitment Sessions
You, your friends, family, and other "troublemakers" are invited to attend our information and recruitment sessions. At each info session, there will be staff, and alumni you can talk to about Cultural Leadership's yearlong program.
- Information Session 5: Thursday, April 19, 6pm at the Jewish Community Center (12 Millstone Campus Dr., 63146) in the Beit Midrash room
Please feel free to share this invite with friends and family. Anyone interested in learning more is welcome to attend.
If you are interested in setting up an informational and recruitment session for a group of teens that you work, pray, or play with, feel free to contact the office at ProgramDirector@culturalleadership.org, or 314-725-3222.